SIR 2020 Research
We hope you are all safe and healthy. One of your member benefits of the Society of Insurance Research is access to the research that SIR conducts. In 2019 we conducted research around the state of the research function-- “Exploring the Research & Insights Function in the Insurance Industry.” In 2017 and 2018 we looked at Innovation in Insurance and consumer perceptions of that innovation. All of these research reports can be found on the SIR website under the Research Resources Page
For 2020 the goal for the SIR Research Committee is to publish a variety of research articles, reports, thought leadership, etc. that will be made available to SIR members throughout the year. We are reaching out to you, our members, to see if you would be interested in submitting an article, report, etc. In addition to being posted on SIR’s website, we have partnered with Wells Media Group, publishers of Carrier Management magazine. There are opportunities for publication of any non-promotional content on the Carrier Management website under 1) “Research & Trends” where any form of thought leadership can be posted; 2) “Contributed Writer” where individuals can submit articles; 3) Data Insights where data images can be placed for additional promotion to Research & Trends or Contributed Writer pieces where those data images reside; and 4) potentially be published in the magazine.
We are really excited about this opportunity not only for SIR, but also for all aspiring writers out there. The exposure to “C-Suite” level (the primary subscriber to Carrier Management) is something we as researchers always strive for and here is the opportunity to showcase our capabilities. Below you will find some topic ideas as well as guidelines.
• Operations & Finance, Strategy & Innovation, Technology & Analytics, Leadership & Strategy, Reinventing Reinsurance, Underwriting, Leadership Tips, The Talent Gap, Emerging Risk, Competition From Outside the Industry
• The impact of Covid-19 on personal lines, commercial lines, life, or health insurance; on carriers
• For other ideas see below or view the index on SIR's Research Resources Page
NPS & Sentiment Analysis
Storytelling and Visualization
Underwriting & Claims
Human - Centered Design
Agile Project Management
Al & Machine Learning
Digital / Mobile/ Social
Guidelines for Submissions:
• Contributed articles should focus on business trends and analysis, industry commentary, and education that are of interest to insurance carrier executives.
• The optimal length of feature is 1,000 to 1,500 words, but articles up to 2,500 words will be accepted. Any accompanying sidebars should roughly 500 words.
• Commentaries and blogs should be roughly 1,000 words in length.
• Carrier Management will not publish articles that promote a particular product or service. Authors may not mention their company name or product in the bylined article, except if the article is a case study about how the company solved a particular problem or implemented a particular process. The article should be information-based and should not contain advertorial content or third-party attributions.
• Contributors are welcome to provide any accompanying photos or artwork to complement the article. Accompanying charts, tables or graphs are encouraged and should be sent in Excel or high-resolution PDF formats. Color is preferable, but black and white is acceptable. We prefer electronic images of 5×7, 300 dpi, Mac EPS, TIFF or high-quality JPEG formats.
• Style should be consistent with the Associated Press Stylebook.
• Please include a short biography of the author, including name, title, position and office location. The bio should be no more than 50 words. You may also submit a digital headshot photo (300 dpi) of the author.
• Features contributed are intended to be original articles that have not been published elsewhere in a widely read business magazine or industry trade journal. We understand that some authors will want to use blog items or articles written for clients or internal publications as starting points for their CM contributions. Just let us know if you want to repurpose information already published in this manner and we will work with you to make the content fresh for publication in CM.
In addition Wells Media Group is offering SIR members an annual membership to Carrier Management for $149.99 (almost 70% off the regular price of $489) and includes the six annual magazines plus access to the website. Details of what is included in an annual membership can be found here. Be sure to visit the SIR special landing page to receive the discounted price.
SIR is seeking additional publication partnerships and member discounts to secondary research to improve our membership value. Stay tuned for more information.
Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have questions or would like to discuss. Please email your submissions to the SIR Research Committee at email@example.com
. We will follow-up with you immediately upon receipt and discuss next steps.
SIR Research Committee Vice President
Sr. Vice President, Research Services, Competiscan